November brings Fall colors, turkey, and football. It's also a month to raise awareness about diabetes. This condition effects more than 30 million people in the United States. There are 3 types of diabetes: Type I, Type II, and gestational. The majority of people have Type II diabetes. Risk factors for Type II diabetes include:
- being overweight
- older than 45 years of age
- immediate family with diabetes
- being physically active less than 3x/week
- ever having gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby who weighed more than 9 pounds
- race and ethnicity: African Americans, Hispanic/Latino Americans, American Indians, Pacific Islanders, some Asian Americans
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, know your ABCs and manage your diabetes by working with your doctor, getting physically active, and by following a healthy meal plan. Don't forget to add us to your healthcare team by getting an annual dilated eye exam to make sure the diabetes isn't effecting your eyes. Please call to schedule your eye exam if you are overdue.