With the explosion of digital devices used at school, work and home, more and more people are experiencing dryness and eyestrain. And we're getting introduced to technology at an earlier age as infants and students are using ipads and smartboards. 83% of Americans report using digital devices more than 2 hours a day. 72% of children under the age of 18 use their devices more than 2 hours per day.
What are the symptoms?
- blurring of print on screen
- dryness/burning of the eyes
- eye fatigue
- difficulty focusing when looking away from the screen
What can you do?
- get an eye exam to get the best prescription
- consider special computer glasses
- use proper lighting: uniform lighting and windows on the side
- minimize glare
- follow the 20/20/20 rule: take a 2-3 minute break every 20 minutes of screen time and focus on something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds
While all of us enjoy the information and entertainment that digital devices provide, ensure that your eyes are can handle the load by using the tips above. If you are experiencing symptoms, schedule your next exam with us to find out what else can be done to help.