Not only does May have Star Wars Day but it's also a month to highlight the importance of ultraviolet (UV) protection. With summer fast approaching, consider sun protection for your vision now and the future.
While most people are aware of UV light and skin cancer, are you aware of the impacts on your eyes?
- skin cancer around your eyes
- UV keratitis resulting from acute exposure to bright sunlight that causes temporary damage to the cornea and conjunctiva
- pterygium which is abnormal changes to the whites of your eyes
- macular degeneration is an eye disease impacting the retina
- cataracts cause hazy vision and effects the lens of your eyes
The best protection comes from sunglasses that block 100% of UVA and UVB rays as well as using a wide brimmed hat for added protection. Wearing a hat can cut up to 50% of your exposure to the sun. Investing in sunwear for yourself and children will pay dividends for the health of your eyes in the short and long term.
If you're in need of quality sunwear, stop by our office and we can help you choose the best pair for you and your family. Prevention can start today by taking steps to reduce your eyes' exposure to harmful UV rays. May the fourth be with you!